Climate change has impacted every community in an extremely adverse manner. Below are some of the summarized findings from research carried out from mountainous communities of Gilgit, Hunza, and Ghizer.
It can be seen above in the image as well that women are the primary victims of climate change. As there is both limited resources and a lack of awareness, they face difficulty in tackling these new arrived issues. Hence, it is important to design climate change mitigation strategies with keeping in mind the effect on women.
Henceforth, it is recommended that:
- Women empowerment should be at the core of any mitigation strategy.
- Women need to be involved in climate change mitigation approaches.
- Capacity building programs to be initiated (Disaster risk management).
- Establishment of women communities.
- Establishment of norms that allow women access to financial and property related decisions.